Description of App
Book Crawler provides a powerful, yet easy to navigate database for the avid reader. With ever-growing capabilities, Book Crawler makes logging, categorizing, searching, and backing up your database a snap! It’s a great tool for library professionals, book collectors, and students; and a handy application for frequent travelers and book worms!
Book Crawler is not an eReader and does not allow you to read books. Instead, it will allow you to catalog your books of interest.
- iPad version provides completely redesigned interface with stunning graphics
- Harnesses the power of Google Books ® to support searches, book summaries/rating, previews, and downloadable cover artwork
- *Featured Partnership* with OCLC WorldCat allows you to locate books available for checkout at nearby libraries
- Quickly and Accurately upload books by scanning their barcodes using ‘pic2shop,’ a compatible ISBN barcode scanner application, available for download at no additional cost
- Web interface to backup/restore, import CSV files, and view your database in a browser on your desktop
- All new database entries automatically load title, artwork, genre, series, ISBN, publisher, format, and copyright for most books
- Quickly enter several books at a time when searching for books by author
- Sort and view your database by title, author, copyright, genre, collection, rating, if read/when, ownership status, media format, series information, loan status, price, or a customizable field
- Exclusive 'Smart Collection' support allows you to customize sorting and searches based on rules you set (e.g. books read in the last year, etc.)
- Search for new and upcoming works by authors that are not in your database
- Complete configuration control allows you to apply customizable default values for fields to meet your needs
- Share your favorites by emailing them to your friends or via Twitter and Facebook
- Set the cover artwork via your camera or your photo library and update existing entries with missing cover artwork
- Tilt your device to view the cover artwork in landscape
- Detailed in-app user guide and one-touch email support for fast personalized help
- Proven performance; Currently supporting users with 10,000+ book entries
Book Crawler is created and maintained by an avid book reader,a loving mother, and a professional software engineer who continually strives to make the database powerful, dynamic, and user friendly as possible. Rest assured that it is not an ‘application mill’ creation, and we make every effort to provide expedient and personalized customer service, should you have a question or problem. It is a database that we are proud of and hope that you will find it a useful tool!
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
I have found a few minor problems with this app, but for the most part it is very accessible.
You have 3 options for adding books to the app: manually, Google Books or ISBN scanner. All 3 of these appear to work very well.
When using either Google Books are the ISBN scanner to add books, the app loads a page showing the details of the book you are adding. One of the first items on this page will be an unlabelled button. This is actually an image of the book's cover. If double tapped it enlarges the image. Simply double tap on cancel to go back to the book detail page.
At this stage you can swipe through the details and double tap on any that you want to change. I most commonly change the format from 'book' to 'audiobook'.
One item that you cannot access with VoiceOver is the rating you want to give to a book.
There are a number of options for browsing your collection. You can browse by such things as author, title, year, genre, format, series and so on. A table index is present and helps to make this easier if you have a large collection.
This is a very powerful and useful app, and one that I would certainly recommend to VoiceOver users.
0 people have recommended this app
It's probably worth mentioning that a Lite version of this app is available. The only difference between that and the paid version appears to be a limit of 25 on the number of books that you can add.
I've not had an opportunity to fully test this app, but the briefest of looks suggested that there are additional issues when running it on an iPad (it's a universal app, but there are differences in layout and operation depending upon which iDevice you are using).
Personally, I found the interface far less intuitive on an iPad. This wasn't helped by a number of unlabelled buttons. Some buttons could also have benefited from having hints attached to them, so as to give VoiceOver users some feedback.
The app certainly appears to be more intuitive and accessible on an iPhone or iPod Touch.
As I said, this is based upon only a few minutes of use. I would, however, certainly encourage people to take a look at the lite version, as Book Crawler certainly appears to be a very powerful app that is packed full of features.
I have contacted the developer of this app, so hopefully they will address some of the accessibility issues that appear to be present in the current version.
A major update of this app has just been released.
Apart from adding a number of new features, the developer has addressed the accessibility issues mentioned above. Button labelling is much improved, and the developer has added hints to a number of the buttons.
The rating field has also been made accessible. Ratings are now entered via the numeric keypad. Although accessible, this is perhaps not a perfect solution. There is no indication that you must input a number between 1 and 5. Entering anything other than this produces a rather garbled error message that provides no real feedback. A simple picker would have perhaps been a better option for entering a rating.
However, this is a minor criticism.
It's great to see another developer responding so positively and promptly to requests for improved accessibility.