Deleting Apps from the iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch
Would you like to uninstall an app from your iPod Touch without the need to connect it to your computer? If you need an easy way to delete an app from your iDevice without using iTunes, this quick guide is for you.
We assume VoiceOver is enabled while following this guide, so VoiceOver gestures are used. If you are sighted, you may wish to turn off VoiceOver before proceeding.
Follow these steps on the device to delete an app:
- Press the Home button to move to the Home screen.
- Locate the app you wish to delete. You may either flick left or right or drag your finger until its name is spoken. It may be necessary to use the three-finger flick right or left to switch to the page on which the app is located.
- Double tap and hold your finger in place for about one second. VoiceOver will say "moving" followed by the app's name. Release your finger. You are now in an edit mode that enables deleting and moving apps around the screen.
- Double tap the app's name. A dialogue asks you to confirm your wish to delete the app.
- Double tap the delete button. The app has been removed.
- Locate and double tap any additional apps you wish to delete.
- Press the Home button to leave the edit mode and return to the Home screen.
- The procedures in this quick guide were tested on an iPhone 4 running iOS version 4.0.2. They are known to work on iPads, iPod Touches and iPhone 3 G S models running iOS versions 3 or 4.
- This guide is loosely based on information found in the Deleting Applications section of the iPhone 4 User Guide.