Description of App
The WordWeb English dictionary and thesaurus: fast searching, spelling suggestions, definitions, usage examples, synonyms, related words - and no adverts. An offline audio version is available separately.
The comprehensive WordWeb dictionary database includes:
- 285,000 words, phrases and derived forms
- 225,000 word sense definitions
- 70,000 usage examples
- 85,000 text pronunciations
- Synonyms, similar and related words
- N. American, British, Australian and international English
A version with 70,000 professionally recorded audio pronunciations is available as a separate product.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused.
Additional features include the ability to drill down on any word in a definition, full bookmark support and history.
Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Customize search options (case, derived forms, etc)
Is it better than dictionary.com? Judge for yourself!
No Internet connection is required to use WordWeb, and it's free.
Chambers dictionary and thesaurus are also available, and you can cross-reference to both Chambers and old Oxford dictionary apps from WordWeb.
Free or Paid
Device(s) App Was Tested On
In the settings screen, some of the buttons are unlabelled, and text besides them are the same. In the definition screen, the majority of the words are hyperlinked. While this may be convenient for some, it may not be so for others, particularly Braille and or speech users. Otherwise the app is very very accessible.
This is a great app if you want something that is free and does not require an internet connection!